Monday, 26 April 2010

On 04:25 by Jonathan Topliss   No comments

This was something of a test to see the process behind making a game for the iphone with something I have been working on. This was to understand the development behind the coding and development of a game for something I feel is the way technology and design/advertising I moving towards. I had no experience of making an app for the iphone. I did some research on iphone games development and a software called game salad was pointed out which I decided to give it ago. I found the software easy to use once you get over the first shock of coding and then it becomes a matter of research and common knowledge. I produced a working game in game salad despite the glitches the software seems to have were as it starts to crash a lot with the more information you program in. To publish the game to work on the internet and also not forgetting the main thing, the iphone you have to pay to publish the piece. This is something I like to defiantly look at sometime in the future.

After looking for a very long time at game salad (longer than I expected) I moved on to looking at the official developing software by apple which was xcode which is yet new coding called SDK. With this developing software it was much more advanced as it was split into three different types of software. I research and research and research and barley understood however I did start to get to grips with the software and the coding and managed to produce a loading screen and menu.

This is the loading screen. I did spend a bit too much time on learning the basics probably more time than I wanted to. My understanding of the software has grown so now I know the process behind the making of iphone apps so I managed to accomplish what I set out to do.

Thursday, 21 January 2010

On 07:14 by Jonathan Topliss   No comments

After Effects title for Harris.

This was produced in After Effects was a short animation test to try out a tutorial to make text look 3D.

Thursday, 3 December 2009

On 07:45 by Jonathan Topliss   No comments

product page for the new spooky media website...

Thursday, 26 November 2009

On 06:55 by Jonathan Topliss   No comments
This is the new website design coming soon...

Tuesday, 20 October 2009

On 13:02 by Jonathan Topliss   No comments

this is a digital painting that im doing its no were near finnished.
On 12:31 by Jonathan Topliss   No comments

This is a website idea that i am designing for Spooky Media. This is a screenshot of the gallery design.

On 12:25 by Jonathan Topliss   No comments

theses are the Higher range packaging for Harris that i designed for fine, medium and coarse.For my profession brief I was asked to help out at and advertising agency were I would be working on a live brief for one of their main clients Harris paintbrushes. I had no idea what would be asked of me before I started my works experience there. For all I knew and to be honest all I thought I would be doing was pasting images into picture boxes or pasting text into text boxes. On the first day I was given the brief from Harris and just told to get stuck into the brief and had no further instructions other than the deadline which I got to the end of the week to produce the finishing pieces to be sent to Harris. My first thought was great a real brief second was hang on this is their biggest client what if I get this wrong, they were trusting me to deliver based on the fact that I have done few pieces for the agency before which they were happy with. I read the brief a few times picking out the key features to focus on, Harris wanted designs for their new abrasive packaging that was a separate category to the usual sub-branding. They gave me some ideas they thought of like textured background this was something I kept in mind, however the brief gave me free will. I had to focus on the different tier a low tier like glasspaper and sanding blocks and a higher such as Aluminium Oxide like the wet and dry paper. So my job was to do a bit of research from shops and the internet however due to deadline I decided this needed to be as much as I can get in as little time as possible. Once I got my research I made a start on designs, I started noting things down then started work in the design package Freehand I did several designs over two days. I printed out the designs and focused on the ones that stood out as the most pleasing, with that I focused on progressing the designs.

This is a final design of one on the pieces. One thing I looked at during the design process is the audience. Based on my research I realised that most decorating tools such as abrasives look like they are mainly aimed for men and seem to be dated. So with that in mind I wanted to find away to steer away from the dated look aimed for men and create something modern and aimed for women as well as.

So my main thing to look at was to think of colours that can appeal to both male and female. So I wanted to go with modern colours that are not harsh to look at but also stand out. Also I was still thinking about this textured background and ways to show what the product does. So I went with the different images showing the strengths of the abrasives. After the designs were finished I sent them to Harris for the approval and the feedback was better than I imagined they decided to go with the designs and how they thought that the colours worked well. The advertising agency were really please I did so well and were glad that I understood they were busy themselves with work and didn’t have to step in at all with my work.